General Tips for Participants
Basic Session Structure:
- 10 minutes before the Session: The host will start the designated Zoom meeting.
- 2 minutes before the Session: The host will start the recording.
- 1 minute before the Session: The Session Chair introduces the session.
- Beginning of the Session: The Session Chair will introduce the presenter. The talk will be presented using the video recording submitted by the presenter.
- The duration of a presentation by type are listed below:
|Type||Video Duration||Q&A Duration|
|Full papers||13 minutes||4-5 minutes|
|Short papers||12 minutes||2-3 minutes|
|Posters / Demos||5 minutes||5-6 minutes|
|Tutorials||90 minutes (or live talk)||25 minutes**|
** the speaker will take questions “on the fly” by the participants for roughly a total of 25min of tutorial Q&A (per tutorial). The total duration of a tutorial session is around 115min.
A live Q&A Session will follow each talk (except for tutorials), moderated by the Session Chair:
- Participants will be muted and they will need submit questions during the video presentation before the Q&A Session starts.
- The Session Chair will select and ask the questions during the Q&A session. There may not be enough time answer all questions. The Chair will make sure to ask related questions in the approximate order that they were first submitted.
- The Chair will have the ability to unmute participants if this is needed to elaborate on their questions (please note that due to the limited Q&A duration, participants may want to discuss with the author(s) off-line).
- Each session will have a host, a Session Chair, a presenter and participants. See Zoom Roles in a Webinar.
- Host: This will be the user with a special icon by the side of the profile. This person facilitates the use of the technology and could be the same person as the Session Chair in some sessions. (NAME: Host * or Chair *).
- Session Chair: This person is present to coordinate the session and manage Q&A. (NAME: Chair *).
- For a stable connection to the meeting, please check the Zoom Webinar Best Practices and Resources.
Detailed Zoom Guide for Participants
Initial Zoom setup:
Please install Zoom in advance.
How to Join the Session:
- View the password-protected Virtual Program page and find the session you are interested in. You will be provided with the required credentials before the conference starts.
- Click on the session link to join the meeting.
- If you are joining the Session before the host has started the meeting, please wait in the lobby until the host starts the Session.
During the Session:
The Session Chair will mute your microphone during the entire Session.
How to Ask Questions
Option 1: Chat
You can join the discussion with other attendees by sending messages to “Everyone” or you can chat privately with the Session Chair by selecting their name from the drop down list. Learn more about Using Webinar Chat.
Option 2: Q&A Session
Following the video presentation there is a short Q&A session.
We request participants to use Q&A panel on the side-panel on the right of the Zoom window. If not shown, one can click on the icon to enable the Q&A panel.
You can post your questions in the Q&A window anytime during the Session. If you need to refer to the presentation, please indicate clearly the page number of the slides. If there is no page number available, please note down the time of the relevant content.
At the end of the talk, the Session Chair will select and ask the presenter to answer some of the questions in sequence they were submitted and within the allotted Q&A period and will try to cover as many questions as possible depending on the allotted time.
Conferencing, online and in-person can be exhausting! We need to take breaks. We will take breaks. Breaks are built-in to the schedule!
- Stand up and stretch, get a snack, come back refreshed!
- If you leave Zoom on, make sure that your microphone is muted during the break.